Volkswagen's New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America Because?

lorenhough

Volkswagen's New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America Because It ...
www.whydontyoutrythis.com/.../volkswagens-new-300-mpg-car-not-allow...
Apr 8, 2014 - You won't find the 300 MPG Volkswagen XL1 in an American ... it's combined mileage is usually a little over 200 mpg, and if you do ... The only thing different is the engine, WHAT GIVES? ..... Chevy is having problems selling the volt as it is why would America let a German engineered car that costs twice as ...
Volkswagen's 300 MPG Car | Here & Now
hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/09/17/volkswagen-fuel-efficiency
Sep 17, 2014 - The Volkswagen XL1 can get about 300 miles per gallon. ... The town of Wolfsburg is one of Germany's several “motor cities. ... the car sports a two- cylinder, turbocharged direct injection (TDI) diesel engine. ... The European Union has mandated sharp reductions in fuel emissions for new cars by 2020.
Missing: invents
The World's Most Fuel Efficient Car: 285 MPG, Not A Hybrid - Gas 2
gas2.org/2008/.../the-worlds-most-fuel-efficient-car-285-mpg-not-a-hybrid...
Mar 12, 2008 - VW, 1 liter car, cars, transportation, diesel, concept. [UPDATE 9/15/09]: ... Mercedes 40-MPG Diesel Hybrid: Cleanest SUV on the Planet.
Car gets 400+ MPG | Fuel-Efficient-Vehicles.org
fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=968

Better then lithium batteries but only pollute and go nowhere after their used.

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
The article at "here and now" says that VW is not marketing the XL1 car in America because they're only building 200 units.

And furthermore, it's a hybrid like a Prius! It has a lithium battery with a ~30 mile electric-only range.

Last edited:

lorenhough

Apr 8, 2014 - You won't find the 300 MPG Volkswagen XL1 in an American ... it's combined mileage is usually a little over 200 mpg, and if you do ... The only thing different is the engine, WHAT GIVES? ..... Chevy is having problems selling the volt as it is why would America let a German engineered car that costs twice as ...
Sep 17, 2014 - The Volkswagen XL1 can get about 300 miles per gallon. ... The town of Wolfsburg is one of Germany's several “motor cities. ... the car sports a two- cylinder, turbocharged direct injection (TDI) diesel engine. ... The European Union has mandated sharp reductions in fuel emissions for new cars by 2020.
Mar 12, 2008 - VW, 1 liter car, cars, transportation, diesel, concept. [UPDATE 9/15/09]: ... Mercedes 40-MPG Diesel Hybrid: Cleanest SUV on the Planet.

Reading ? Who is not reading? The xL1. Doesn't need to be plugged in EVER to achieve 300 mph! The car weight 1700 lbs with normal tires top speed 110 mph.

I owned 3 used, hi bred Honda insights, got a great price the batteries were not working made money selling the old battery. Taking the batteries out i still got the same gas mileage. 70 miles per gal. Made the car 80lbs lighter. Didn't wast my money on batteries, that go bad in 7 years or so.
  1. What's the mileage of the Smart car? How safe? How smart?
    Smart (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)
    The cars were similar to the eventual smart City-Coupé. No mention was made of the fact that SMH had no input in the design of these concepts, and they were ...
What does "rare" earth mean? Mining using oil? Is oil rare? Making magnets. Lithium batteries , It's a joke. Better to poke a hole in the ground. That fills back up.
Can we Recycle lithium batteries?

Building. 200 units doesn't explane why would not build more to lower price like tesla. There the 2nd biggest car co. In the world. I want one. LH

Last edited:

lorenhough

Reading ? To all, Please stop the personal attacks you do not have to use my name or suggest I didn't read it! We're all in the same boat. What do we do when the fox is guarding the hen house joe?

Last edited:

lorenhough

Reading ? To all, Please stop the personal attacks you do not have to use my name or suggest I didn't read it! We're all in the same boat. What do we do when the fox is guarding the hen house joe?

Volkswagon is being punished for coming out with 300 mpg car xL1; 10,000 brand-new mostly volkswagon cars were destroyed in this explosion what's the odds?

China Explosion: Tianjin Accident May Have Claimed 10K New Cars
www.ibtimes.com › Companies › Auto
Aug 17, 2015 - China Explosion: Tianjin Accident May Have Claimed 10K New Cars From ... Rows of damaged Volkswagen cars are pictured on the second morning ... of explosions that ripped through the world's 10th-largest container port.
Was badly stored cyanide to blame for the catastrophic Chinese
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Fifty-people-injured-enormous-blast-explosives-sh...
Aug 12, 2015 - A lack of answers about vast explosions in the Chinese port of ..... The port city is a major vehicle hub where about 10,000 imported cars were destroyed - ... Destroyed: Rows of burnt out Volkswagen cars are seen near the ...

Then you go after the man who would dare give us 300 mile car?

Volkswagen CEO Resigns, Saying He's 'Shocked' By Emissions Scandal

day after acknowledging that 11 million Volkswagen-made cars have software that dupes official emissions tests, Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn says he is resigning from his post.

"I am shocked by the events of the past few days," Winterkorn said in a statement released Wednesday. "Above all, I am stunned that misconduct on such a scale was possible in the Volkswagen Group."

The news comes as Winterkorn met with Volkswagen's board Wednesday, less than a week after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the car company had put software in diesel cars that turns emissions control systems off when the car isn't undergoing official tests.

Volkswagen is faced with fallout on a number of fronts, from investors punishing its stock to the chance that the U.S. government will levy billions of dollars in fines. There's also the likelihood — already realized in Canada — that millions of its customers will file class-action lawsuits.

While Winterkorn says he's shocked by recent events, the report by the EPA and the California Air Resources Board states that Volkswagen has known for more than a year that American inspectors had found something fishy going on with diesel cars made under the Volkswagen and Audi brands.

The first discovery was made back in May of 2014, the agencies say, when researchers at West Virginia University found wide irregularities when they compared the diesel cars' performance in emissions tests to real-world driving conditions.

Last edited:

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Please stop the personal attacks you do not have to use my name or suggest I didn't read it!
That's fair, and I've edited my post as per your request. The fact remains, the XL1 is a plug hybrid vehicle with a lithium battery. It's not fair to use it as an example of what might be achieved with pure diesel fuel technology.

Car & Driver says the car has 4.4 inch wide tires inflated to 44 psi, and has three inches of ground clearance. It's also very narrow, and has a highly reclined driving position and low roof. Those are design choices that would improve MPG at the cost of everyday usability. Also, diesels will generally get better gas mileage than the equivalent gasoline engine, both because diesel has higher energy content than gasoline, and because diesel engines always run with wide open throttle, so there's less pumping friction.

The xL1. Doesn't need to be plugged in EVER to achieve 300 mph!
Not true. Wikipedia says the European MPG test for plug hybrids allows the cars to be recharged from the grid every 47 miles. The diesel-only MPG rating for the XL1 is 120 mpg. I can't find any test drivers reporting an actual MPG measurement on the car. If the Insight gets 70 mpg, then 120 mpg for the XL1 seems believable.

Diesels also have problems with particulate emissions, creating the motive for cheating on EPA emissions tests as discussed in the article above. It's interesting that Winterkorn is taking the blame for the scandal, and taking the fall. Seems that for most white collar crimes, nobody gets canned. Car & Driver suggests that board chairman Ferdinand Piech really deserves credit for the XL1, and he's not going anywhere. As to whether the XL1 can simultaneously get great MPG and pass emissions tests, I have no idea.

Having said all that, the car is still an amazing engineering achievement. I hope they eventually sell a lot of them, including in the USA.

I don't know how much flexibility refiners have, to adjust the fraction of diesel vs. gasoline fuel coming out of the refinery. To some extent, I believe that if we're going to use crude oil as a primary energy source for transportation, we need a mix of diesel and gasoline vehicles on the road.

Hybrid technology is mainly helpful for achieving good economy & performance in stop-and-go driving. Also, plug technology allows the car to use electricity from the grid, which can be very clean & efficient, depending on how the grid generates its power.

I can believe that a Honda Insight gets about the same highway MPG with or without its battery, but I would expect it to be a bit sluggish and MPG impaired around town. Whereas, I don't think a Prius will run at all without its battery. Honda hybrids run the electric system in parallel with the gas motor, while the Prius uses the electric motor-generator system for its transmission. So, if the electric system in a Prius isn't working well, the car isn't going anywhere.

Lithium is not a rare earth, it's a fairly common element. I found an article that discusses lithium recycling, and they say that the lithium only represents about 3% of the value of a battery built with current technology. Recycling is oriented more towards recovering cobalt and/or nickel that are also used in the batteries, but they are expecting to see more lithium recycling as the batteries get more popular.

Neodymium is a rare earth used in magnets for electric motors & generators in wind turbines & electric cars, as well as for disk drives & loudspeakers. According to Wiki, Neodymium costs $350 per kilogram, and a Prius uses a kilogram of it. It will probably be practical eventually to recycle the magnets in electric car motors.

Links:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-volkswagen-xl1-first-drive-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ferdinand-piechs-career-with-volkswagen-group-feature
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car
http://www.waste-management-world.com/articles/print/volume-12/issue-4/features/the-lithium-battery-recycling-challenge.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium

lorenhough

Volkswagen vs US emission charges

By Jim Dornblaser

March 05, 2016
Saturday PM

I find it strange, no make that ludicrous, that OUR EPA stands on % of emissions per volume while TOTALLY ignoring total emissions per mile.

Volkswagen has had one of the TOP economy records since the middle ‘50s with 50 MPG a reality for their compact diesels. ANY US made suv, whether diesel or not, is lucky to reach 1/2 that figure per mile. In the last 60 years, who has put out the most pollutants per mile driven?

On or about that 50s era, I was in high school & they taught me “matter can neither be created nor destroyed”. It remains today a scientific fact, a vehicle that gets 50 mpg puts out 1/2 the total emissions as does a 25 mpg vehicle.

The 50s era mentioned earlier, when we raised the hood of most any auto, you saw a MOTOR, but today all you see is a “plumbers nightmare”. Heaven only knows how much that maze of superfluous engineering costs per vehicle (but bet the family farm you the consumer pay dearly per copy).

I do not under-rate the need to reduce CO (carbon monoxide) & convert it to CO2 (carbon dioxide). BUT wait a minute, isn’t that one major “green house gas” we are trying to reduce? I thought so.

Enter the consumer safety division with their crash & dummy tests. They totally scare the masses away from the “economy vehicle”. The result of one bureaucracy fighting another for public recognition has resulted in just the opposite as we are led to believe our world needs. Rather than reducing total emissions or controlling CO2 output, they have managed to drive the majority of car owners to SUV or pickup class GAS GUZZLERS, the majority of which require 300 hp+ to transport the lady of the house to the mall & back.

I believe WE, the USA as a whole should drop all legal action against VW, reward them for being leaders in engineering “economy” transportation, & fire any EPA
employee that still believes more is better, for he is prolly in big oil’s pocket.

Thank you,

Jim Dornblaser
Thorne Bay, Alaska

Received March 05, 2016 - Published March 05, 2016

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
The source of the Dornblaser letter seems to be here:

http://www.sitnews.us/0316Viewpoints/030516_james_dornblaser.html

The premise of his letter is false: US EPA emission standards are based on pollutant grams per mile, not % emissions per volume.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/standards/light-duty/tier2stds.htm

The only vehicle emission that would correlate to MPG is CO2. I support the effort to control noxious pollutants such as CO and particulates, independently from CO2. As we've all noted and debated here, the effects of CO2 on the climate are highly debatable; whereas the effects of other pollutants are immediately obvious & very dangerous.