Update: Rick is feeling better!

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Regular visitors have probably noticed that Richard hasn't been posting much. He hasn't been feeling well for at least a week, and he decided to go to the ER today. They have admitted him to the hospital.

Rick believes that the problem is probably a virus he caught from feral cats in the neighborhood. The symptoms don't seem anything like covid-19, although the hospital is going to test for that. Whatever it is, it's causing Rick a great deal of discomfort.

Please join me in wishing Rick a speedy recovery.

Seeker

Thank You for that information, Jerry, I had noticed that he wasn't posting much lately, but of course did not want to pry into his personal life. Here's hoping that the approaching Summer Solstice sends some good vibes for his health, if I may wax a bit mystical.

Thank you, Jerry, for the info. I hope Richard gets better soon, but I suspect, given his earlier description of his symptoms here on the website, other diagnoses like seronegative arthritides - even Valley Fever - will have to be excluded.

Please give Richard my regards, as I always remember his welcome when I visited him last July,

Yours faithfully
Claude.

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
I am happy to report that Rick is feeling much better, and is now resting at home. Surely this must be because of the power of all the warm wishes here at PF! But it might also be because of the medical attention that Rick got at the hospital, or because of his excellent immune system boosted by various nostrums discussed here at the forum.

We still don't have a diagnosis as to what was wrong.

Wonderful to hear it, but I think Seeker said it better! Diagnoses will take a while however e.g. Toxoplasmosis.

Yours faithfully
Claude

Richard Stanley

Administrator
Officially it is exfoliative cellulitis, but this is rather generic. The blood cultures were negative, and the attending physician admitted that toxoplasmosis could be the possible culprit since this parasite does not culture. But the mondo-antibiotics are supposed to deal with TP.

In any case, it was rather horrifying. The Incredible Hulk only changed to green, but I changed to orange, red, purple, and black, in variations of solids and patterns. Mostly at night, and depending on the room temps and air flow, I felt like I was either freezing or burning, nothing in between.

It appears that the county health department has punted the issue to Animal Control, whom I had already contacted. Despite that AC isn't sending out field officers due to the pandemic, last week the regional head said he would try to send someone out last Monday or yesterday, but when I called him when I got home today he had forgotten who I was. I had to give him all my contact info again, so this means he was jacking me off to begin with.

I found out from a neighbor that when they (AC and the local ASPCA) had visited the 'cat factory' last year they only took a dozen cats, and were afraid (of the family) to take more (which they are required to only leave no more than 5 cats at one house). So - they reduced the number of cats from ~50 to ~38, and the cats have already done the multiplications.

The 'family' is a mother and two sons, Odinist white supremacists, who moved here from Vermont or New Hampshire when California was begging for school teachers. Instead of moving into a desert house in the countryside they got a state subsidized house in the city and turned it into an enchanted forest, with a chicken coop, koi in the swimming pool, 3 aggressive dogs, and 50 cats. A dozen or so condemned to fending for themselves year round in the freezing cold and sweltering heat, and sometimes necessitating cat cannibalism - because "that's Nature".

The older son is a former Army Ranger, 6 tours in Afghanistan and now a mercenary. Fortunately he moved 30 miles away with his new wife, moving in with 3 other white supremacist males. He once told me how pissed off he was that his prior fiance had taken off with someone else while he had been off mercing in the Middle East. Now the happy couple have moved in with 3 other single males.

The younger brother is the hot head, now out of prison on parole. The mother is an admitted witch.

Before my stay in 'the' hospital I had called the LA County Sheriff Department to see what they knew about the situation (such as why Animal Control was so scared of this family). When I told the officer the background details, he put me on permanent hold. I guess they're too busy beating and murdering certain people these days.

WTF?? And that's only the half of it.

Last edited:

Seeker

Apropos of your situation, you must have nine lives. Seriously, so glad to have you back, missed your sometimes acerbic but always interesting post(flavian)ings!

Richard Stanley

Administrator
I wrote my prior post a few hours prematurely. Animal Control did come after my last call to the supervisor. Long story short, it almost started WWIII in my front yard. Too much to detail for right now, but it was epic and sardonic in several aspects. I called my neighbors out on their BS several times, and one even admitted that she had just been treated by her doctor for a milder version of the same symptoms. They ended up offering to clean all the cat poop, and then to spray my front and back yards with chlorine bleach, which I declined because I'm already on an inhaler from all this.

I just finished my oral meds this morning, and I'm still not sure which way is up. The specific post-hospital, oral antibiotic may have been giving me a similar skin reaction as the infection itself did, as my latter day reactions seem to be waning, at least for now. But every day has been a roller coaster.

Seeker

So glad you and your neighbors are finally and literally getting your s--t together. The next time you have to deal with any authorities I would suggest you get a "Postflaviana" ID card printed up, with your name and "Administrator" also emblazoned upon it. They may not know what it means, but it just might impress them if they think you work for a secret government agency.