"The Life of Brian" Is that Titus in the opening credits?

A new day

This is driving me crazy. I've seen Monty Python's "Life of Brian" three times now, and notice a head bust of a Roman, is it Titus?

After seeing it the second time I was inspired to dig a little deeper and eventually I read "Caesar's Messiah" Glad I did.

I would be surprised if any postflavianite has not seen. If you haven't it's a great humorous take on the greatest hoodwink of all times.

Richard Stanley

Good catch.

I think you mean this head perhaps? Or is it something else I missed? This head is shown a half dozen or so times, used as a sort of wrecking ball. But, it's interesting that Brian is falling from the cloud and appears to collide with 'Caesar's head. Sorry about the video button artifact hiding Brian.

upload_2016-5-1_18-48-50.png

I think this looks like Constantine's image. But, as I've mentioned recently in another thread, Constantine's Arch seems to pay homage to Titus's and his father's and brother's monuments (including not a shred of Christian imagery).

The later arch is definitely not Titus's (1 arch), but more similar to Constantine's (3 archs) albeit the artwork in the panels seems different than in Constantine's.

A new day

Perhaps the Monty Python crew chose to use Constantine and not Titus under pressure from TPTB? Had they used Titus the film's impact may have been more that what the power structure is prepared for. In "Life of Brian", the depiction of the multiple rebel factions added a common sense background to the 'Jesus' story which helped me to visualize Atwill's analysis. I like to recommend the film to those who are beginning to question.

Richard Stanley

Perhaps the Monty Python crew chose to use Constantine and not Titus under pressure from TPTB? Had they used Titus the film's impact may have been more that what the power structure is prepared for.
I guess its possible, but perhaps they were merely considering the fact that Constantine was more associated with the official recognition of the Catholic Church?

I guess I need to watch it again and see what all stands out now.