The Flavian Signature - Outside of Jerusalem - Cut down the fruit tree

gilius

When Titus arrived at Jerusalem he first cut down the fruit trees and levelled the terrain - ahead of laying siege to the city in order to starve out the Jews!

gilius

I think this needs slight expansion and does have a darker side:

Luke 13:1-9

1 Now on the same occasion there were some present who reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate?3 “I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. 4 “Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem? 5 “I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

6 And He began telling this parable: “A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any. 7 “And he said to the vineyard-keeper, ‘Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?’ 8 “And he answered and said to him, ‘Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer; 9 and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.’”

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Also a lot of 'woe' in that Isaiah chapter, making it a parallel / source for the Doomsday item (JW 6.271-316). A naysayer like Carrier could possibly argue that Luke and Josephus are independently referring to Isaiah, without any knowledge of each other.

gilius

Also a lot of 'woe' in that Isaiah chapter, making it a parallel / source for the Doomsday item (JW 6.271-316). A naysayer like Carrier could possibly argue that Luke and Josephus are independently referring to Isaiah, without any knowledge of each other.
But the 3-way links with Isaiah here and Jeremiah with the Doomsday Prophecies suggests that the Gospel authors are using satire against their own people, so even harder to disprove them and Josephus as unified literature. Joe never covered the "3 way links" - also one in Physician heal thyself and Fishing for men.

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, but that brings us back to the old "sense of humor" issue. Church employees and atheists seem to have absolutely no sense of humor, especially when their jobs and/or worldviews depend on it.