The Flavian Signature - Galilee - Fishing for men at the sea of Galilee

gilius

*The only thing missing from this is Titus' name - he's present I just forgot to quote him!
*The Whiston translation actually uses the exact phrase "Lake of Gennesareth"

gilius

This is also tied up with Fishing for Men parallel:

520 Some have thought it to be a vein of the Nile, because it produces the Coracin fish
529 Many of them were pushed back as they came ashore, or killed with spears within the lake, and the Romans jumped from their boats to kill many more on the shore, until the whole lake was bloody and full of corpses and none of them escaped.
(Jewish War)

12 While He was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man covered with leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” 13 And He stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately the leprosy left him. 14 And He ordered him to tell no one, “But go and show yourself to the priest and make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” 15 But the news about Him was spreading even farther, and large crowds were gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 16 But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.
(Luke 5:12-16)

6Then the Lord said, “Put your hand inside your cloak.” So Moses put his hand into his cloak, and when he took it out, the skin was leprousa —it had become as white as snow.
7“Now put it back into your cloak,” he said. So Moses put his hand back into his cloak, and when he took it out, it was restored, like the rest of his flesh.
8Then the Lord said, “If they do not believe you or pay attention to the first sign, they may believe the second. 9But if they do not believe these two signs or listen to you, take some water from the Nile and pour it on the dry ground. The water you take from the river will become blood on the ground.”"

gilius

Previous Parallel: The Christ that preached the gospel (euaggelion)

Moving onto the very next passage in the gospels and the very next event in the Jewish War:

Chronology
When the vessels were ready, Vespasian - assisted by his Son, Titus - set sail after those on the lake and sunk the fishing fleet, catching the Jews like fish as they attempted to swim to safety, and cut off their heads or hands, or killed them with spears. Many more were killed on the shore, until the whole lake was bloody and full of corpses - none of them escaped. (JW 3.522-530)

Fishing for men at the Sea of Galilee
Code:
[table][tr][td]Now as [color=blue][b][size=18]Jesus[/size][/b][/color] was walking by the [color=purple][b][size=18]Sea of Galilee[/size][/b][/color], He saw two brothers, [color=blue][b]Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew[/b][/color] his brother, [color=red][b]casting a net into the sea[/b][/color]; for they were [color=orange][b]fishermen[/b][/color]. And He said to them, [color=green][b][size=18]“Follow Me[/size][/b][/color], and I will make you [color=red][b][size=18]fishers of men[/size][/b][/color].” Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on from there He saw two other brothers, [color=blue][b]James the son of Zebedee, and John[/b][/color] his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him. [b](Matt. 4:18-22)[/b]

“[color=red][b]Woe to you[/b][/color], [color=pink][b][size=18]Chorazin[/size][/b][/color][color=red][b]![/b][/color] Woe to you, Bethsaida! “And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? [color=red][b]You will descend to Hades”[/b][/color] [b](Matt. 11:21-23)[/b]

Now it happened that while the crowd was pressing around Him and listening to the [color=green][b][size=18]word of God[/size][/b][/color], He was standing by the [color=purple][b][size=18]lake of Gennesaret[/size][/b][/color]; and He saw two boats lying at the edge of the lake; but the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets. And He got into one of the [color=olive][b][size=18]boats[/size][/b][/color], which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little way from the land. And He sat down and began teaching the people from the boat. When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and [color=red][b]let down your nets for a catch[/b][/color].” Simon answered and said, “Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets.” When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of [color=orange][b][size=18]fish[/size][/b][/color], and their nets began to break; so they signaled to their partners in the other boat for them to come and help them. And they came and filled both of the [color=olive][b][size=18]boats[/size][/b][/color], so that they [color=darkred][b][size=18]began to sink[/size][/b][/color]. But when [color=blue][b]Simon Peter[/b][/color] saw that, he fell down at [color=blue][b][size=18]Jesus'[/size][/b][/color] feet, saying, “Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!” For amazement had seized him and all his companions because of the catch of fish which they had taken; and so also were [color=blue][b]James and John[/b][/color], sons of Zebedee, who were partners with [color=blue][b]Simon[/b][/color]. And Jesus said to Simon, [color=green][b][size=18]“Do not fear[/size][/b][/color], from now on you will be [color=red][b][size=18]catching men[/size][/b][/color].” When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed Him. While He was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man covered with [color=red][b]leprosy[/b][/color]; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” And He stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately the leprosy left him. And He ordered him to tell no one, “But go and show yourself to the priest and [color=red][b][size=18]make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded[/size][/b][/color], as a testimony to them.” But the news about Him was spreading even farther, and large crowds were gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray. [b](Luke 5:1-16)[/b][/td][td]…the [color=purple][b][size=18]lake[/size][/b][/color] beside it, that the local people call [color=purple][b][size=18]Gennesareth[/size][/b][/color]. Still, they had on the lake a number of ships to retreat to if they were defeated on land, and these were equipped so that they could also [color=red][b]fight from the water[/b][/color]. [color=blue][b][size=18]Jesus[/size][/b][/color] [color=blue][b]and his party[/b][/color] .. made a sally out at them .. with the Romans in pursuit them and chasing them into their ships. They sailed as far out as allowed them reach the Romans with their missiles, casting anchor and drawing their ships into a phalanx and from the sea fought the enemy on land. But Vespasian hearing that a large crowd of them had gathered in the plain in front of the city, sent his son, with six hundred chosen cavalry, to disperse them. Seeing how numerous the enemy was, he sent a message to his father that he would need more forces. .. he stood in a place from which he could be heard and said to them, "My men - my Romans! Remember that you are going to battle well armed against men who are [color=orange][b]almost naked[/b][/color].. .. your commander, who [color=green][b][size=18]will lead you[/size][/b][/color] into danger and be the first to attack the enemy? [color=green][b]Do not let me down, therefore[/b][/color], and be sure that [color=green][b][size=18]God will be my ally[/size][/b][/color] .." [color=blue][b][size=18]Titus[/size][/b][/color]..next day he went down to the lake gave orders for rafts to be fitted up, to pursue those who had escaped in the ships. These [color=olive][b][size=18]vessels[/size][/b][/color] were quickly gotten ready, as there was lots of material and many artisans. The area of the same name, [color=purple][b][size=18]"Gennesareth"[/size][/b][/color] on the other side of this [color=purple][b][size=18]lake[/size][/b][/color] is remarkable and beautiful. Some have thought it to be a vein of the [color=red][b]Nile[/b][/color], because it produces the [color=pink][b][size=18]Coracin[/size][/b][/color] [color=orange][b][size=18]fish[/size][/b][/color] like the lake near Alexandria. When the [color=olive][b][size=18]vessels[/size][/b][/color] were ready, Vespasian put upon board as many as he considered necessary to defeat those on the lake and set sail after them. Those who were forced onto the lake could not escape to the land, where all was in enemy hands, nor could they fight it out as equals on the lake, for [color=olive][b][size=18]their ships were small[/size][/b][/color] and fit only for piracy. The stones they threw at the Romans only made a rattling sound, striking men on their armour, while the Roman spears could reach the [color=blue][b]Jews[/b][/color] themselves, and when they ventured near the Romans, they died before they could do them any harm, and were [color=darkred][b][size=18]sunk[/size][/b][/color] with their ships. Many of those who tried to come to close quarters were run through, as the Romans jumped into their ships, sword in hand, and killed them, or if they were [color=red][b][size=18]caught[/size][/b][/color] between the rafts both the ships and the men were captured. Any who had fallen into the lake, if they lifted their heads, were either killed by spears, or [color=red][b][size=18]caught[/size][/b][/color] by the rafts, and if, in desperation, [color=orange][b][size=18]they tried to swim[/size][/b][/color] towards the enemy, [color=red][b]the Romans cut off either their heads or their hands[/b][/color]. Many of them were pushed back as they came ashore, or killed with spears within the lake, and the Romans jumped from their boats to kill many more on the shore, until [color=red][b][size=18]the whole lake was bloody and full of corpses and none of them escaped.[/size][/b][/color] [b](Wars of the Jews 3, 463, 466-472, 477, 483-484, 503, 505, 516, 520, 522-523, 525-527,529)[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

gilius

Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on from there He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him. (Matt. 4:18-22)

Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! “And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades” (Matt. 11:21-23)

Now it happened that while the crowd was pressing around Him and listening to the word of God, He was standing by the lake of Gennesaret; and He saw two boats lying at the edge of the lake; but the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets. And He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little way from the land. And He sat down and began teaching the people from the boat. When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” Simon answered and said, “Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets.” When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish, and their nets began to break; so they signaled to their partners in the other boat for them to come and help them. And they came and filled both of the boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw that, he fell down at Jesus' feet, saying, “Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!” For amazement had seized him and all his companions because of the catch of fish which they had taken; and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men.” When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed Him. While He was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man covered with leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” And He stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately the leprosy left him. And He ordered him to tell no one, “But go and show yourself to the priest and make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” But the news about Him was spreading even farther, and large crowds were gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray. (Luke 5:1-16)
…the lake beside it, that the local people call Gennesareth. Still, they had on the lake a number of ships to retreat to if they were defeated on land, and these were equipped so that they could also fight from the water. Jesus and his party .. made a sally out at them .. with the Romans in pursuit them and chasing them into their ships. They sailed as far out as allowed them reach the Romans with their missiles, casting anchor and drawing their ships into a phalanx and from the sea fought the enemy on land. But Vespasian hearing that a large crowd of them had gathered in the plain in front of the city, sent his son, with six hundred chosen cavalry, to disperse them. Seeing how numerous the enemy was, he sent a message to his father that he would need more forces. .. he stood in a place from which he could be heard and said to them, "My men - my Romans! Remember that you are going to battle well armed against men who are almost naked.. .. your commander, who will lead you into danger and be the first to attack the enemy? Do not let me down, therefore, and be sure that God will be my ally .." Titus..next day he went down to the lake gave orders for rafts to be fitted up, to pursue those who had escaped in the ships. These vessels were quickly gotten ready, as there was lots of material and many artisans. The area of the same name, "Gennesareth" on the other side of this lake is remarkable and beautiful. Some have thought it to be a vein of the Nile, because it produces the Coracin fish like the lake near Alexandria. When the vessels were ready, Vespasian put upon board as many as he considered necessary to defeat those on the lake and set sail after them. Those who were forced onto the lake could not escape to the land, where all was in enemy hands, nor could they fight it out as equals on the lake, for their ships were small and fit only for piracy. The stones they threw at the Romans only made a rattling sound, striking men on their armour, while the Roman spears could reach the Jews themselves, and when they ventured near the Romans, they died before they could do them any harm, and were sunk with their ships. Many of those who tried to come to close quarters were run through, as the Romans jumped into their ships, sword in hand, and killed them, or if they were caught between the rafts both the ships and the men were captured. Any who had fallen into the lake, if they lifted their heads, were either killed by spears, or caught by the rafts, and if, in desperation, they tried to swim towards the enemy, the Romans cut off either their heads or their hands. Many of them were pushed back as they came ashore, or killed with spears within the lake, and the Romans jumped from their boats to kill many more on the shore, until the whole lake was bloody and full of corpses and none of them escaped. (Wars of the Jews 3, 463, 466-472, 477, 483-484, 503, 505, 516, 520, 522-523, 525-527,529)

gilius

Verbatim: there’s too many matching words here to bother mentioning: boats are comparable to small ships or vessels, Chorazin appears to be a word corruption of Coracin – not the first time will have encountered this technique (nor the last).
Name: both feature the name Jesus and at the same location.
Concept: Jesus and his disciples is comparable to “Jesus and his party”; and these Jews are comparable to fish in water. Both Titus and Jesus offer leadership and reassurance – allied by God (established as Vespasian in previous parallels).
Typology/Satire: Jesus tells his disciples to “follow him” and he will make them “fishers of men”, i.e. they will “catch men” – on the contrary, however, it is the Jews who are getting “caught” like “fish” as they attempt to swim to safety from the Romans led by Vespasian and his Son Titus. Titus is the genuine Lord here – not Jesus. And one of the slaughtered Jewish fishing villages around the lake, Chorazin, was named after a type of fish! Jesus prophesies the destruction of the Galilean towns and he prophesies men will be “fished”; this is prefiguring the Jewish War where those prophecies are being fulfilled. To confirm this is the case, all these parallels are occurring in sequence between the Gospels and Josephus, event by event, and if we look up the story about “Moses commanding a cleansing” in the context of a man covered in “leprosy” that Jesus refers to at the end of the passage, we find the following sobering verse:

Then the Lord said, “Put your hand inside your cloak.” So Moses put his hand into his cloak, and when he took it out, the skin was leprous —it had become as white as snow.
“Now put it back into your cloak,” he said. So Moses put his hand back into his cloak, and when he took it out, it was restored, like the rest of his flesh.
Then the Lord said, “If they do not believe you or pay attention to the first sign, they may believe the second. But if they do not believe these two signs or listen to you, take some water from the Nile and pour it on the dry ground. The water you take from the river will become blood on the ground.”
(Exodus 4:6-9)

Next Parallel: Easier to say "get up and walk" than "your sins are forgiven"