The Flavian Signature - Galilee - Capernaum + Migdal/Tarichea

gilius

2 parallels: The demoniac at Capernaum who was the first to name the Christ + Fever at the fishing town of Migdal/Taricheae - the true identity of Mary Magdalene

gilius

Previous Parallel: Heaven and Hell

Directly after Josephus surrendered to the Romans we move on to the very next scene in the gospels and Jewish War...

Chronology
Josephus prophesied that Vespasian and Titus will become emperors and not to send him to Nero. They showed him honour, but chose to not set him free. (JW, 3.399-408)

The demoniac at Capernaum who was the first to name the Christ and Fever at the fishing town of Migdal/Taricheae - the true identity of Mary Magdalene
Code:
[table][tr][td]They went into [color=purple][b][size=18]Capernaum[/size][/b][/color]; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and began to teach. They were amazed at His teaching; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. Just then there was [color=red][b]a man in their synagogue with an [size=18]unclean spirit[/size][/b][/color]; and he cried out, saying, “What business do we have with each other, Jesus of Nazareth? Have You come to destroy us? [color=green][b]I know who You are—the Holy One of [size=18]God!”[/size][/b][/color] .. Immediately the [color=blue][b][size=18]news about Him spread[/size][/b][/color] everywhere into all the surrounding district of Galilee. [b](Mark 1:21-28)[/b]

Then He got up and left the synagogue, and entered Simon’s home. Now [color=pink][b]Simon’s mother-in-law[/b][/color] was suffering from a [color=red][b]high[/b][/color] ([b]Greek:[/b] “[color=pink][b][size=18]megale[/size][/b][/color]”) [color=red][b][size=18]fever[/size][/b][/color], and they asked Him to help her. And standing over her, He rebuked the fever, and it left her; and she immediately got up and waited on them. [b](Luke 4:38-39 = Mark 1:29-31)[/b]
[/td][td]When [color=orange][b][size=18]Josephus[/size][/b][/color] heard this he [color=orange][b]asked to speak[/b][/color] with him alone. When all [color=orange][b]others except Titus and two of their friends[/b][/color] were ordered to withdraw, he said, [color=green][b][size=18]"Vespasian[/size][/b][/color], you regard Josephus as just another captive, but I come to you as a [color=blue][b][size=18]messenger of good news[/size][/color][/b] .. You, [color=green][b][size=18]Vespasian[/size][/b][/color], will be Caesar and emperor, you and this son of yours. Chain me more securely and keep me for yourself, [color=green][b]for you, Caesar, are master not only of me, but of land and sea and all mankind.[/b][/color] And surely I deserve to be kept in even stricter custody, and to be punished, if I affirm anything rashly, [color=green][b]as coming from [size=18]God[/size][/b][/color]." [b](Jewish War 3, 8, 399-402)[/b]

Immediately I too made a sudden turn with my own forces and [color=orange][b]met those of the king's party[/b][/color] and put them to flight; and I would have performed great deeds that day, [color=red][b]if not prevented by some [size=18]demon[/size][/b][/color]. I broke some bones in my wrist, and was carried into a village named Cepharnome, or [color=purple][b][size=18]Capernaum[/size][/b][/color]. I sent for physicians and after their treatment I continued [color=red][b][size=18]feverish[/size][/b][/color] that day; then at night, under doctor's orders, I was removed to [color=pink][b][size=18]Tarichea[/size][/b][/color] (AKA[b] “[/b][color=pink][b][size=18]Migdal[/size][/b][/color][b]”[/b]). [b](Life of Flavius[/b] [color=orange][b][size=18]Josephus[/size][/b][/color][b], 12, 402-404)[/b][/td][/tr][/table]
They went into Capernaum; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and began to teach. They were amazed at His teaching; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. Just then there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, saying, “What business do we have with each other, Jesus of Nazareth? Have You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!” .. Immediately the news about Him spread everywhere into all the surrounding district of Galilee. (Mark 1:21-28)

Then He got up and left the synagogue, and entered Simon’s home. Now Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high (Greek:megale”) fever, and they asked Him to help her. And standing over her, He rebuked the fever, and it left her; and she immediately got up and waited on them. (Luke 4:38-39 = Mark 1:29-31)
When Josephus heard this he asked to speak with him alone. When all others except Titus and two of their friends were ordered to withdraw, he said, "Vespasian, you regard Josephus as just another captive, but I come to you as a messenger of good news .. You, Vespasian, will be Caesar and emperor, you and this son of yours. Chain me more securely and keep me for yourself, for you, Caesar, are master not only of me, but of land and sea and all mankind. And surely I deserve to be kept in even stricter custody, and to be punished, if I affirm anything rashly, as coming from God." (Jewish War 3, 8, 399-402)

Immediately I too made a sudden turn with my own forces and met those of the king's party and put them to flight; and I would have performed great deeds that day, if not prevented by some demon. I broke some bones in my wrist, and was carried into a village named Cepharnome, or Capernaum. I sent for physicians and after their treatment I continued feverish that day; then at night, under doctor's orders, I was removed to Tarichea (AKAMigdal). (Life of Flavius Josephus, 12, 402-404)

Typology: A man with an unclean spirit was the first to name Jesus the Holy One of God; Josephus also describes emperor Vespasian as God on earth so to speak. The unclean spirit turns out to be Josephus who was “feverish” (how Romans describe hot headed Jews; see below) during his meeting with the “king’s party” (cross-referenced to Life of Flavius Josephus), so in other words: Josephus is describing Vespasian and his son as the holy ones of God on earth. And news about them was spread throughout Galilee, i.e. the Romans are coming under the “godhead”/Trinity of Vespasian and his Son Titus (Domitian was the “terrible spirit”) to crush the Jews, i.e. "destroy us" (Jews).

“As in a human body, when the principal part is feverish, all the members suffer with it, so the rebellion and disorder in the metropolis gave the wicked in the countryside the chance to ravage it too…” (Jewish War, 4, 406-407)

Satire: Simon’s mother-in-law was described as being ill with a high “megale” fever. Mary Magdalene is described later in Luke 8:2 as having exorcised seven demons, so there is a pun on Magdalene, megale and Josephus being sent to Migdal town (Tarichea) – one of the many Galilean fishing villages containing demonic Jews – which Jesus “heals” or the Romans “save” (depending on the perspective).

“Tarichea had rebelled” (Jewish War 3, 9, 445)

Information: The authors like to play on words and use puns, as clear from this Magdalene vs. megale example. Reference is occasionally made from Josephus' biography (like an addendum to the Jewish War) in order to make sense of all the typology, otherwise it would have made it seem too obvious if all relevant parts of the story were placed in the Jewish War alone (or a single gospel)

"But what most inspired them to undertake this war was an ambiguous oracle also found in their sacred writings, that someone from their country would become ruler of the world about that time. The Jews took this prediction as applying to themselves and many of the wise men were wrong in their estimate of it, for it denoted the rule of Vespasian, who was in Judea when appointed as emperor." (JW 6.312-315)

Next Parallel: The city that recognized the saviour

Last edited:

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
This seems to work just as well from Luke 4:31-39 --

31And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days. 32And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power. 33And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, 34Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God. 35And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not. 36And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out. 37And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.

38And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her. 39And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them.
I understand the motivation for combining these two parallels into one: with the entire quote from JW -- it becomes easier to see that the passage from Life is another parallel. The information from the latter passage, adds to the strength of the first parallel. And, without the quote from Life, the second parallel (about Tarichea / Migdal) disappears completely.

About the argument that the purpose of such far-flung schemes is to prevent the parallels from becoming 'too obvious', it seems to me that some other parallels (such as, for example, the 'woe-saying Jesus') are so blatant that they're difficult to miss, at least for the reader that's paying attention. Maybe the purpose was more playful -- to give the more careful student something to work towards, in terms of additional reward for discovering these 'easter eggs'.

On the other hand, a cynical critic would point out that the parallel passage in 'Life' was drawn as a selection from virtually the entire text of that work; as opposed to the matching passage in JW, which was found within the much smaller extent of the text between the preceding and the following parallels. So the multiple-comparison problem tends to swamp out whatever statistical significance the comparison might possess, leaving open the possibility that the parallel was discovered through 'data mining', rather than an intentional expression of the author.

gilius

Yeah, if you check the harmonisation sticky, Luke 4:31+ is in line with Mark 1:21+, but I didn't bother quoting both of them as the information is simply repeated with no additional benefit (in this case; but not in others).

I think the easy parallels were meant to be discovered first, laying down benchmarks to fill in the gap of others - but get some of the benchmarks wrong like Joe did then you end up with an incomplete Flavian Signature. The Woe Saying Jesus is part of the Doomsday Prophecies in larger context, and that is the largest block in the Gospels - the part Titus wanted to hit home more than anything else. Therefore, that is the most obvious and has the most clustered concepts and verbatim compared to any other parallel.

Life follows a chronology just like JW, so being part of a sequential framework of 50 parallels and hundreds of matching elements, the multiple comparisons problem would only mean that a small percentage of concepts could be by coincidence - but that doesn't affect the bigger picture. When I convert to BBcode I try to tidy up the parallels by removing matching elements within that could be coincidental, like grain and slaves in the Sabbath one. "grain" occurs more likely because they were said to be farmers, but it could just be coincidence. But that's just a minor when we have Sabbath, right hand, lawful/unlawful as the main matching elements.