Sept. 30: Lucifer and Superman

Richard Stanley

Here are my earlier comments on the TV show Lucifer Morningstar:
http://postflaviana.org/community/index.php?threads/lucifer-morningstar.1917/

In my estimation the show is a Gnostic slap in the face to normative Christianity, especially to the Christian Taliban literalists. Similar to what Derek Murphy said, the show speaks to the notion that Lucifer is a necessary part of the Judeo-Christian theological construct, that can only be cleanly resolved by viewing Lucifer / Satan is a metaphor, and similar to what I have recently posted regarding Hellenistic intellectual notions of the polytheistic gods as being the same, each representing different aspects of nature and as well, representative aspects of our own individual and collective natures.

If Christians are going to complain simply because this entity is being portrayed at all, then we and they should demand that all Bibles are burnt. Why? Because they are Satanic -- for the exact same reason. If you believe that Satan literally exists, then in my book you are Satanic ... or just plain hoodwinked.

Hilariously, as Jerry mentioned, in one episode, Lucifer is outraged that Satanists claim to act in his name, in conducting such as ritual murder. As is a common thread in the show, Lucifer says that his job description (from God - his father) was to punish human acts of evil, not to make them do so. The fact that he might make deals with humans is a matter for debate, but in any case he doesn't put a gun to their head. Whether or not there might be some systematic human agency that might do so in real life is beside the point the show is making. Life is full of temptations and decisions must be made. In the Bible, Satan offers his brother the world, but Jesus refuses the deal. But Jesus has a different ironic fate (or destiny?) which he knows his father has handed to him.

Lucifer's ongoing interactions with the police detective cause him to understand that human life is rather more complicated than he had considered via his prior life. He starts his vacation in Los Angeles (a rather fitting place name irregardless of Hollywood) and somewhere in the 5 years before the show starts he buys the nightclub, engaging in a hedonistic lifestyle and prolifically using his charms on women. After all, the Bible states that God's many fallen sons found the daughters of men to be irresistible. In this course, he decided that he was never going back to his old job, and even has his wings cut off by his protective demon friend. He is now retired and enjoying the good life - as he understands it from his POV. Then circumstances force his meeting with the detective, Chloe, and he begins his evolving transformative realizations.

Another cogent episode is where Lucifer is framed for murder by a bad cop. The victim is a Christian minister who has previously seen that Lucifer is indeed Satan, but who is also one of those many Christians who blames Lucifer for humans' own errant ways. And ironically, in the Bible, it is God who explicitly claims authorship for all Evil, as it should logically be. But even though God is the author of all this, one must yet be responsible for their actions.

Related to all this, I am working on mining from such as David Fideler's Jesus Christ, Sun of God, all the pagan Greek inputs into the Christian corpus, which Christians have ever denied -- since around the time of Constantine at least. Because, as Fideler clearly shows, the church fathers were proud to discuss these gnostic roots that stemmed from such as Plato and Pythagoras. Here the problem is not Jews versus goys, but a conflict between an esoteric 'inner' religion that later got suppressed too deeply, and the legacy of the exoteric 'outer' church with its rigid dogma of irrational faith that falsely justifies its profitable existence.

Just watched the pilot episode of the Superman based series, Smallville, having run 10 seasons. The series covers Clark Kent's youth, and it is loaded with Biblical themes.

For one thing, the pilot episode opens with a young Lex Luther coming across the annual high school football team initiate, hung upon a cross, with a giant S painted on his chest. His name is Jeremy Creek (JC). A meteroid lands at this time (along with Clark Kent), and the affected Jeremy is hauled off to an infirmary for 12 years before he escapes. At this later time Clark Kent becomes the initiate of the day, having been weakened by a kryptonite necklace coincidentally hung around his neck. At one point, a sullen Clark Kent is found in a cemetery, by neighbor Lana Lang, and when Clark rises to greet her he is framed by a statue's angel wings.

The regular cast is introduced in season one, with storylines involving a villain deriving power from kryptonite exposure. The one-episode villains were a plot device developed by Gough and Millar.[3] Smallville's first season primarily dealt with Clark's coming to terms with his alien origin and the revelation that his arrival on Earth was connected to the death of Lana Lang's parents.[4] After the first season the series had fewer villain-of-the-week episodes, focusing instead on individual-character story arcs and exploring Clark's origins.[5] Major storylines include Clark's discovery of his Kryptonian heritage and Lex's escalating conflict with his father, Lionel.[6] The disembodied voice of Clark's father, Jor-El, is introduced; he communicates to Clark through his spaceship, setting the stage for plots involving his role in fulfilling Clark's earthly destiny.[7] In a fourth-season arc Clark, instructed by Jor-El, searches for three Kryptonian stones which contain the knowledge of the universe and form his Fortress of Solitude.[8][9] Clark battles Brainiac in his attempts to release the Kryptonian criminal General Zod,[10] and must capture (or destroy) other escaped Phantom Zone criminals.[11] His cousin Kara arrives,[12] and Lex Luthor discovers Clark's secret.[13] The eighth season introduces Davis Bloome (Smallville's version of Doomsday), and Tess Mercer replaces the departing Lex Luthor. Justin Hartley becomes a series regular as Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) after being a recurring guest in season six.[14] In the ninth season Major Zod (Callum Blue) and other members of Zod's military group are revived (without their Kryptonian powers) by Tess Mercer,[15] and their efforts to regain their powers are the season's central conflict. The final season revolves around Clark's attempts to lose his doubts and fears and become the hero he is meant to be, while confronting his biggest challenges: the coming of Darkseid and the return of Lex Luthor.[16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville

Last edited:

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree completely that the Lucifer series is a full frontal attack on all mainline versions of Christianity, and that includes Catholic, liberal Protestant and Fundamentalist denominations. And, the complaint of the "One Million Moms" (as documented in Wikipedia) is rather pathetically inadequate as a response to the sophisticated Gnosticism in the show. The Million Moms say "will glorify Satan as a caring, likable person in human flesh." But of course the Bible also portrays Satan as human flesh (or at least, as an angelic being who can appear to humans in human form). And, who could be more likable than the Satan who persuaded Eve to eat the apple?

Of course attacks on Christianity in the mainstream media are nothing new. Whereas it seems that Judaism is protected by a sort of "political correctness". And as for Islam: on the one hand, it's open season for anti-Islamic rhetoric coming from Donald Trump as well as the entire alt-right. But on the other hand, liberal rhetoric attempts to protect Islam from such attacks, at the same time as "neo-cons" and "neo-libs" attack Islamic states with cruise missiles. And, within Islam itself, criticism of Mohammed and the Koran is utterly verboten.

All together, I'm feeling that Rick is correct to argue that Christianity is being phased out, to be replaced by some sort of neo-Judaic Space Jesus worship. The long-standing conflict between Western "gentile" elites, and their Hofjuden controlled opposition, is being brought to a congenial end. At the same time, the Islamics are being set up as the new cultural enemy. Are they also "controlled opposition"? Considering well-documented links between Western intelligence and the likes of Saddam Hussein and the Saudi royalty, I'd say they're pretty well controlled.

Superman seems to be more of a sneaky and perhaps unintentional attack on Christianity. But it does seem like perhaps more than a coincidence, that Man of Steel was promoted to Christians as a pro-Christian allegory, while I don't know of any such viral marketing campaign for Batman v. Superman.

I remember watching a season or two of Smallville when it first came out. The reference to JC in the pilot went completely over my head. But given the summary above, I still don't get who was responsible for hanging Jeremy Creek on the cross, and (more distinctively) painting a giant "S" on his chest? Who was on earth at that time who was able to anticipate what was coming?

Richard Stanley

All together, I'm feeling that Rick is correct to argue that Christianity is being phased out, to be replaced by some sort of neo-Judaic Space Jesus worship. The long-standing conflict between Western "gentile" elites, and their Hofjuden controlled opposition, is being brought to a congenial end. At the same time, the Islamics are being set up as the new cultural enemy. Are they also "controlled opposition"? Considering well-documented links between Western intelligence and the likes of Saddam Hussein and the Saudi royalty, I'd say they're pretty well controlled.
Perhaps Clark Kent's arrival from space was intended to prime the collective mindset for some type of Space Jesus scenario?

Whatever the case, now having a fuller understanding of Fideler's masterpiece, one can see that the Christian imposition was designed as a synthesis of Greek, Jewish, and Egyptian components -- timed and keyed to the Zodiacal 'science' of the day. Hence Pisces and the Fish, conveniently incorporating the sophisticated geometrical esoterica of the Vesica Piscus. Hence, Jesus the Christ, is made to be the new manifestation of the pre-existing Logos, the first born of the new fishy age. In this case, it appears to me that the Jewish elements make up more of the exoteric aspects of the Christian within the surface narrative, and the focus being conveniently placed upon OT prophecy rather than on the Greek elements that were always hidden in plain sight. And now Paul's warning to beware of 'philosophers' seems to make clear the intent to keep the keys to knowledge hidden away from the hoi polloi (as Clement of Alexandria is much more explicit), but we can blame this hiding all on the Pharisees, the controlled opposition.

BTW, Fideler uses a loose millennial construct for his Zodiacal Ages (~2,000 years rather than 2,160), thus making 2001 far more significant within my speculation that 9/11 was indeed an esoteric announcement of the New Age. And making Pope Francis's recent visit announcing (in Spanish) that the new Savior has been born, and the visiting of the Abyss, etc. that much more significant. As well, I learned in regards to Fideler's discussion of Apollo (and the Delphi oracle) that '911' is gematria for the words OMPHALOS and AXIS. In my 9/11 analysis I claim that the ceremony is a cosmic celebration regarding Apollo, and using the Twin Towers to mark the end and beginning of the current ages, ala Castor and Pollux. Fideler also notes that Apollo's name is the holder for the concept of Alpha and Omega, found embedded in the NT. The middle of the name refers to the pole of the Earth, and thus is indeed an esoteric representation of the Zodiacal Ages. Idenitically, O-mega means the Great Circle -- or Great (precessional) Year.

Of course, if true, then the new paradigm will need to have a watery Aquarian aspect. Maybe this was the starfish (hand?) of the being(s) in the Arrival movie?

The reference to JC in the pilot went completely over my head. But given the summary above, I still don't get who was responsible for hanging Jeremy Creek on the cross, and (more distinctively) painting a giant "S" on his chest? Who was on earth at that time who was able to anticipate what was coming?
The more senior members of the football team abduct the single selected initiate each year (for Homecoming) to be placed overnight on the cross. Then someone ordinarily removes them the next morning, presumably still alive. I'm not exactly sure what the 'S' stands for, unless it is for 'Savior'. As in, doing so will save our football season?

The team name is the 'Crows', which is an initiate level (Corvus) within Mithraism. 12 years later, Lex Luther finds Kent upon the cross and cuts him down. The kryponite necklace falls off of Kent's neck, and allows Kent to go save the Homecoming dance from the revenge of Jeremy Creek. In stopping JC, Kent releases JC's demonic possession, so to speak, and Jeremy then just wants to go home.

The cock will cocka-dood ... err crow. False messiahs, substitution.

Funny no?

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
the new paradigm will need to have a watery Aquarian aspect.
If the nuclear pollution gets bad enough on the surface, maybe it will be necessary to go underwater to get the appropriate shielding. Not to mention special equipment to purify water for drinking, bathing & food production.

Flavi Anna

From your description of the Superman vs Batman plot, it sounded to me like an allegory of a WW3 scenario of US vs Russia, with the puppet contollers represented by Lex. Superman appearing in court to answer for crimes against his fellow citizens while carrying fulfilling his "savior" role could be interpreted as the US droning for peace. Predictive programming?

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a reviewer who thought it was Democrats vs. Republicans.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/batman-v-superman-is-democrats-vs-republicans

Both Superman and Batman have eyes that glow with supernatural powers; Superman’s are red, Batman’s are blue. In effect, Superman is the Republican superhero, Batman the Democratic one. The classic distinction between the right and the left is that the right represents the uninhibited force of natural power, while the left represents a check on natural power in the name of an idea. Batman embodies that check...​

But, I thought that Superman was the Democrat, and Batman was the Republican. Superman is the hero of the people, Batman is a wealthy businessman.

Marcilla Smith

“Art is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone will have their own interpretation.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly

I thought that Superman was the Democrat, and Batman was the Republican. Superman is the hero of the people, Batman is a wealthy businessman.
At the risk of being labeled a sophist apologist for The New Yorker, I will point out that Batman is secretly a wealthy businessman (although one must wonder how many billionaires are in Gotham that he can pull this off). His public face is that he his relationship with civil authority, such as law enforcement, is uneasy, at best - not unlike a "limousine liberal" with a Black Lives Matter bumper sticker. While you're off "saving the city," who's saving your margins by dealing with petty theft from the Wayne Enterprise retail holdings, Bruce?

As for the only begotten son of the father (Kal-)El, he is adored by the unwashed, it is true, but then look at who has held a majority in the House of Representatives (ie "Commons") for most of the last 20 years

Richard Stanley

Well, the wealthiest do to tend to be Democrats: Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc.
Etc., as in Donald J. Trump .... the corporate Democrat's (I mean seriously) wrecking ball, double agent? ;)

I think it's important to remember that at the national level, party and other distinctions tend to fade away, even in this crazy year. The brilliant TV show Braindead uses the trope of a parasitic alien insect infestation of select human brains to make this point. And this with that the insects have a global ambition while they have their human hosts distracted over various side issues.

Let's get Joe to watch this show so that Jerry and he can discuss it.

Richard Stanley

I think I'll stay out of gondolas from now on. Better safe than sorry.

Note 'epigenes' below:

T. gondii has been shown to alter the behavior of infected rodents in ways thought to increase the rodents' chances of being preyed upon by cats.[10][14][15] Support for this "manipulation hypothesis" stems from studies showing T. gondii-infected rats have a decreased aversion to cat urine.[10] Because cats are the only hosts within which T. gondii can sexually reproduce to complete and begin its lifecycle, such behavioral manipulations are thought to be evolutionary adaptations that increase the parasite's reproductive success.[10] The rats would not shy away from areas where cats live and would also be less able to escape should a cat try to prey on them. The primary mechanisms of T. gondii–induced behavioral changes in rodents is now known to occur through epigenetic remodeling in neurons which govern the associated behaviors;[16][17] for example, it modifies epigenetic methylation to cause hypomethylation of arginine vasopressin-related genes in the medial amygdala to greatly decrease predator aversion.[16][17] Widespread histone-lysine acetylation in cortical astrocytes appears to be another epigenetic mechanism employed by T. gondii.[18][19] Differences in aversion to cat urine are observed between non-infected and infected humans and sex differences within these groups were apparent, as well.[20]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii