Loren Byron Hough, RIP

Discussion in 'Site notices & policies' started by Jerry Russell, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jerry Russell

Jerry Russell Administrator Staff Member

Since Loren hasn't posted for a few days, I was fearing the worst. From Loren's hometown newspaper:

http://www.salina.com/news/20180206/loren-byron-hough

LABASA, Fiji Islands — Loren Byron Hough, 64, of Labasa, Fiji, and formerly of Salina, passed away Feb. 6, 2018, at Labasa Hospital Labasa Figi Islands. Services at a later date. Arrangements with Fiji Islands mortuary.

2. Jerry Russell

More about Loren that I never knew...

http://www.salina.com/news/20180210/loren-byron-hough

A native of Salina, Loren attended Salina Central High School, graduating in 1972. While at Central, Loren participated in football, wrestling and theatre. He continued his football career playing for Kansas Wesleyan University, Salina, for two years. After taking a year off to travel, he enrolled at Kansas State University, Manhattan, where he earned a degree in psychology. Loren moved to California for several years only to return to Salina to work with his father, Don Hough, at Hough Piano and Organ, Salina, with sales and promotions. He later returned to northern California, where he lived most of his adult life. In his later years, he moved to Savu Savu, Fiji, where he designed and built bee hives, and taught the local Fijians how to create and sustain a bee colony.

Loren loved the outdoors, people and reading. Family and friends remember Loren as being passionate about his causes from nutrition, water and the environment. He was passionate about the Land Institute in Salina and its causes. A good friend summed it up best: “What a long and interesting road he traveled. He will be missed.”

Loren is survived by his wife, Lisi Malologa; stepdaughter, Memita Telingo, both of Fiji; father, Don B. Hough, of Salina; sisters, Allene Hough Eland, of Lenexa, Kan., and Laina Hough Cossel, of El Paso, Texas; and brother, Darald Hough, of Overland Park, Kan.; and many beloved nieces and nephews.

Loren was preceded in death by his grandparents, R. Byron Hough and Allie Hough, and Frank and Bertha Korab; mother, Nedra Hough; and sister, Lisa Joan Hough.

Loren will be laid to rest in Fiji at his request. A Celebration of Loren’s life will be held in Salina for close family and friends at a future date.

3. CplCam

CplCam New Member

Damn, sad news. I didn't always understand what he was getting at but these forums will be poorer for his absence. Quite an interesting character.

4. Richard Stanley

Richard Stanley Administrator

Yes, it's too bad. He was quite tenacious, and it showed in how long he kept at posting before the end.

5. A new day

A new day Member

Thank you for posting Loren's obit. I was always amazed at his voluminous posts. He struck me as an independent type of which the world needs more.

6. Jerry Russell

We had our disagreements with Loren, and we had to stand in our integrity and say so. But I am convinced that he meant well. As the obit says: he was always passionate in everything he did -- whether at the Rainbow Gathering, or growing cannabis, or tending beehives in Fiji. Always, from beginning to end, in opposition to the horrors perpetrated by the Powers That Be.

Yes, the world needs more like him.