How to Hide an Empire

Richard Stanley

Administrator
The following is an NPR interview with Daniel Immerwahr, author of How to Hide an Empire, about the manner in which the USA has ever grown, both on its mainland and far beyond. And, in how it has for the most part successfully hidden the imperial aspect from its citizens. Its pointillist empire of far flung islands has enabled a tremendous projection of global (and Globalist) power, while its now restless nationalist zealots mostly care less about such 'trivia' - far from their eyesight.

Discussed is the remnant attitudes of Whiteness and how this affects attitudes in the treatment of the contemporary American 'colonists' offshore of the mainland, for instance Trump's treatment of Puerto Rico.

I assert that all of this Immerwahr details is part of a much longer historical continuum, where today the USA is but the corporate proxy fro what and who came before.

One can see the evidence of this at ~9:00 into Part 2 of this BBC series, below, about the Plantagenets, the 'French' kings of England (today's English Crown is 'German', only they're not 'German' either). Specifically it is mentioned the tension between the now (relatively long after the Norman Conquest) more parochial barons and the imperial interests of the Plantagenet king(s). In this case the Plantagenets wanted to maintain their prior French lands as well as spread into such as Sicily, with the latter making an insanely expensive deal with the pope in doing so.

Mentioned is the Plantagenets familial relations with such as the Savoys that link them back in time to the elite Sabine Romans. Moving forward in time are similar links to the elites of colonial America, the fabricated 'revolution' providing plausible deniability for their global interests.

Last edited:

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Its pointillist empire of far flung islands has enabled a tremendous projection of global (and Globalist) power, while its now restless nationalist zealots mostly care less about such 'trivia' - far from their eyesight.
In the introduction to his book, Immerwahr mentions that the French complain about "coca-colonization", and that the US armed forces have engaged in conflicts in 67 different countries since 1945. But, the focus of his research is on actual colonies, such as Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the US Virgin Islands. And on the US history of territorial expansion, first across the mainland, and then on to Alaska, Hawaii and the Philippines.

This might indeed be a hidden empire, and a worthy book topic. But I'd be more interested in a book covering places like Canada, Australia, France, Germany and Great Britain. Or, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. All of which seem to be more or less integrated into the greater Globalist aka American hidden empire.

And what about Iran, Russia, and China? Are they part of the Hidden Empire too? What would Immerwahr say about that proposition, I wonder?

Richard Stanley

Administrator
Its pointillist empire of far flung islands has enabled a tremendous projection of global (and Globalist) power, while its now restless nationalist zealots mostly care less about such 'trivia' - far from their eyesight.
I should have called the zealots 'navel gazers', while the empire's island hopping elites are are thus 'naval gazers'. :rolleyes:

This might indeed be a hidden empire, and a worthy book topic. But I'd be more interested in a book covering places like Canada, Australia, France, Germany and Great Britain. Or, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. All of which seem to be more or less integrated into the greater Globalist aka American hidden empire.

And what about Iran, Russia, and China? Are they part of the Hidden Empire too? What would Immerwahr say about that proposition, I wonder?
Yes, it would be interesting to know his take on the larger context. I still prefer th view that the USA and its 'empire', hidden or not, is the figurative militant tip of the spear of the larger Western Globalist construct, and may even be expendable transitioning into the next global 'order' or phase. as such, I think the other countries are all various bit players and/or along for the ride. I think your second set are likely controlled opposition, with the main audience being the various 'common' people of the world needing to be convinced that there is only one solution to the increasing global chaos.

Richard Stanley

Administrator
Abby Martin interviews Immerwahr below. Among other things they discuss the deep racial politics about how the American states became states, as opposed to remaining territories. This is why existing territories off of the continent have remained so, because it is now very difficult (that darn political correctness) to implement the vicious biblical conquest policies utilized prior to WWII that served to whiten up these patches of land. Once these places become states, then the people there become citizens and they can then vote, and have other rights as well.

I had frequently wondered why the Philippines had become independent, as opposed to the other territories we acquired during the Spanish-American War. Following this logic, after having to kill between 600K to 750K Filipinos, we figured out that there were just too many Filipinos to overcome or kill. The smaller territories are thus just a waiting game, as witnessed by territorial Oklahoma waiting for ~100 years to overcome the Indians that had been concentrated there.

The same motivation is behind voter suppression of minorities that has been ramped up under Trump's Samson-esque Chaos persona.

Also interesting was the discussion of the politics of referring to ourselves as Americans, when at the time various people started to even proudly boast that we had indeed become an empire. 'America' became pushed as is was generic and could thus help "hide the empire".

The implications are such that such as Miss Kitty will have her heart warmed, as this is evidence that she is correct that at least the intent of the Founding Fathers was indeed racist. But, even they were too politically correct to be explicit about this. Well the Great Pumkin is working hard to flip the script on this subject.