Geomagnetic storm; Aurora borealis photos

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Reports indicate that our planet is experiencing a massive geomagnetic storm / solar flare event. Ben Davidson at "Suspicious Observers" YouTube channel indicates that this is the biggest such event in 20 years or more. And the worst is yet to come.

Davidson shows graphics from downdetector.com indicating elevated levels of problem reports from various online services. But he posts the thumbnail graphics, rather than the more detailed reports on the site. For example, for Starlink, here's the full outage graph:

https://downdetector.com/status/starlink/

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 7.33.08 AM.png

The graph is indicating "possible problems" but considering the number of users of this service worldwide, really no big deal. And of all the various Internet services, the satellite providers seem to be having more trouble than anyone else.

I stepped outside last night to see if I could detect the aurora borealis. The night sky was pretty bright overall, and many of my neighbors operate bright security lights. As a result, the aurora was hardly visible to my eyes. But, I was able to detect the effect photographically.

aurora1-small.JPG

aurora2.jpg

Back