Das Boot, the TV Series

Richard Stanley

I have decided to place this thread here as opposed to elsewhere, since I don't want to make this into a review or running commentary.

I just finished watching the 8 episodes of the first season of Das Boot, and it was gripping and compelling. I'm especially glad that I have seen this after having done my research on Nazi millennial eschatology, and thus have gained a much better insight to the original Nazi mindset. This where, with some important exceptions, they sincerely believed that they were on some righteous mission, as the latest Chosen People to cleanse the Earth - thus enabling their Millennial Reich.

It is through this lens that I appreciated the depicted attitudes of the Gestapo chief, Hagen Forster. And ... that we can extrapolate this beyond the Nazis.

The series also fleshed out some social, tribal dynamics that we revisiting today. For one, there was a comment made about why the new U-boats were not being delivered in as good an operational condition as before. This was attributed to the need of the German war effort to depend upon lesser peoples, such as the French, to help build them. Secondly, we see the tribal problems that the protagonist siblings (raised in Alsace-Lorraine) have, because the are considered to be Germans by the French, and to be French by the Germans, hence their loyalty is suspect.

But, most amazingly, I did not expect to see what happened in one episode. The U612 had been diverted, from active combat in a typical wolfpack hunt, to undertake a top secret mission to exchange prisoners. Before the exchange, their prisoner was seated at dinner with the officers of the U612 when he reveals that he knew all about the construction details of the latest Uboats. The officers are aghast, especially as their prisoner was a Jew, Samuel Greenwood Jr.. Greenwood goes on to scandalize the officers by saying: "Well, just who do you think paid for the construction of all these things."

This is referring, of course, to the fact that the Nazi efforts were financed by corporations in the Axis domain, both before and during the war, using the Bank of International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland. The line of US Marine General Smedley Butler is deployed by Greenwood that "war is a racket".

Of course, it is that, but it is also the rearranging of the chess pieces on the world stage at the same time.

Last edited: