Christian Shades of Gray and The Coming Civil War

Richard Stanley

Administrator
The following excerpted article ponders whether we'll have a real civil war in the near future, by talking to five historians about the topic. I say that we will indeed have a civil war, as this seems to be Trump's hidden agenda, consistent with the historical and religious typology I have discussed elsewhere on this site.

Trump is a type of Samson, preparing the way for the "Kingdom Come" du jour, the 'next' new world order. Samson, the son of Danoi (yes, those Greeks) immigrants was sent to "seek an occasion against" the Philistines, the people whom the Lord had placed in charge of the 'evil-doing' Israelites. At a mortal cost to himself, Samson succeeded in riling up the Philistines, but we are told that ultimately the Israelites obtained a kingship, ironically one which they hated.

Today, white America, at least, are the descendants of the pioneers who fanatically re-enacted the Biblical Conquest upon the American Indians, the Canaanites du jour. Racial slavery was Biblically justified, ironically making African blacks the literal descendants of Canaan, who suffered because his father Ham had some funny business with the drunk and naked Noah, his grandfather.

The northern slave colonies [sic] eventually disavowed the Biblical justification, and as well turned the insane Bible global real estate land grab narrative into a theological metaphor celebrating personal salvation. This is how we fool ourselves with religion, and why it is yet possible to be having a real life typological redux of history, working well within repeating millennial apocalyptic cycles. These revealing 'apocalypses' are always revealing how gullible most humans are to cynical shepherding techniques. This is why Jesus (aka Titus Flavius - the graft of Romans 11) says: "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do (Stupid MFs)."

Now, in the unfolding Futurist Apocalypse, the Christian (actual or cultural) Nationalists are being led over the cliffs of Gadara by Trump the Pied Piper, of which some evangelicals have even correctly identified Trump as their Samson. But he is also the Beast of the Sea, fulfilling the dragon's hidden global agenda.

Imagine the glee in Steve Bannon's mind, the student of The Art of War, knowing that he and the WH Jesu cabal are craftily employing the white "losers" that historically equated his Irish Catholic ilk as little better than the black sons of Canaan. The Jewish nationalist Zealots of old did not understand their global canonic subtext, and neither do the nationalist zealots today, their ancestral Conquistador heritage notwithstanding.

"This land is my land, this land is your land, from ...."

Because Jews and Christians, of all shades of gray, refuse to wean themselves from this cynical, genocidal, filth, we are all doomed to repeat this sick nonsense over and over. While the "knowing" laugh all the way to the bank.

America’s stability is increasingly an undercurrent in political discourse. Earlier this year, I began a conversation with Keith Mines about America’s turmoil. Mines has spent his career—in the U.S. Army Special Forces, the United Nations, and now the State Department—navigating civil wars in other countries, including Afghanistan, Colombia, El Salvador, Iraq, Somalia, and Sudan. He returned to Washington after sixteen years to find conditions that he had seen nurture conflict abroad now visible at home. It haunts him. In March, Mines was one of several national-security experts whom Foreign Policy asked to evaluate the risks of a second civil war—with percentages. Mines concluded that the United States faces a sixty-per-cent chance of civil war over the next ten to fifteen years. Other experts’ predictions ranged from five per cent to ninety-five per cent. The sobering consensus was thirty-five per cent. And that was five months before Charlottesville.

“We keep saying, ‘It can’t happen here,’ but then, holy smokes, it can,” Mines told me after we talked, on Sunday, about Charlottesville. The pattern of civil strife has evolved worldwide over the past sixty years. Today, few civil wars involve pitched battles from trenches along neat geographic front lines. Many are low-intensity conflicts with episodic violence in constantly moving locales. Mines’s definition of a civil war is large-scale violence that includes a rejection of traditional political authority and requires the National Guard to deal with it. On Saturday, McAuliffe put the National Guard on alert and declared a state of emergency.

Based on his experience in civil wars on three continents, Mines cited five conditions that support his prediction: entrenched national polarization, with no obvious meeting place for resolution; increasingly divisive press coverage and information flows; weakened institutions, notably Congress and the judiciary; a sellout or abandonment of responsibility by political leadership; and the legitimization of violence as the “in” way to either conduct discourse or solve disputes.

President Trump “modeled violence as a way to advance politically and validated bullying during and after the campaign,” Mines wrote in Foreign Policy. “Judging from recent events the left is now fully on board with this,” he continued, citing anarchists in anti-globalization riots as one of several flashpoints. “It is like 1859, everyone is mad about something and everyone has a gun.” ...

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
Today, few civil wars involve pitched battles from trenches along neat geographic front lines. Many are low-intensity conflicts with episodic violence in constantly moving locales.
Charlottesville sure fits this definition. This HBO video got about 20 million views on Facebook, as well as 4 million on YouTube.

Richard Stanley

Administrator
I pondered for a while as to where I should post the video on slavery below, since I have commented on slavery so much on the blog and especially the forum. Then I remembered this recent article on WaPo about "antebellum" thinking going on in the new white 'conservatism' today. The article discusses the rhetorical lengths of casuistic justification that can only be described as what Christians traditionally ascribed as coming from the Pharisees of Jesus' day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/08/29/conservatives-say-weve-abandoned-reason-civility-old-south-said-that-too/

The author demonstrates that blaming 'liberals' (or whomever) for the lack of civility today, while working overtime to roll back the hard fought rules of the game, is from an old playbook meant to place the opposition on their heels. And, such techniques have been fairly successful.

In any case, the above segues well into Alex O'Connor's discussion of the OT treatment of slavery, in the light of a black American Xian's absurd defense of Biblical slavery practices. This where the latter is demonstrated to take such verses out of context. As such, one would think that such argumentation would be natural for a Southern white mourning the Lost Cause, but such mental inversion is typical for anyone mentally enslaved to the Good Book of Slavery.

O'Connor takes on the issue that slavery of yore had an aspect that was volitional, and this has its roots from at least Sumeria. But, he goes on to show repeated verses showing that in the wider context, that if one was outside of the Hebrew tribes, slavery that was permanent and brutal was on a extra-tribal basis. If you were one of the Hebrew tribes, you could only be enslaved for 7 years. You could opt to stay enslaved permanently, but then had to have a hole punched in one of your ear lobes, as a legal requirement.

The dark irony is that we know today that the common 'Hebrews' were mostly the original Canaanites, of whom were condemned by God to be permanently enslaved, because of Canaan's father, Ham, having had sex with the naked and fallen-down drunk, Noah, Canaan's grandfather. BTW, Noah did not become preggers, as every conservative today knows that one cannot become preggers via rape. That is Xian Science 101.

Unfortunately, O'Connor did not go on to detail that the NT merely goes on to ask slaveowners to be nice to their slaves and for slaves to obey their masters. How can these Christians be more reasonable than this for Dogod's sake?

Last edited:

Jerry Russell

Administrator
Staff member
You could opt to stay enslaved permanently, but then had to have a hole punched in one of your ear lobes, as a legal requirement.
This requirement is quoted from Exodus 21:2-6, and applies to a Hebrew servant who says "I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free...", meaning that if the servant goes free, he leaves his wife and children behind as slaves? I think O'Connor missed that element of coercion. I bet a surprisingly high percentage of "Hebrew servants" opted for pierced ears and re-enlistment, with those terms.

Rick, do you happen to know if any of the other religious texts and traditions dating back to the same era as the Bible, had any more enlightened position regarding slavery? Wasn't it pretty much of a universally accepted practice? And, doesn't this constitute a good reason to be skeptical of all ancient religions, and not just Judaeo-Christian denominations?

Richard Stanley

Administrator
meaning that if the servant goes free, he leaves his wife and children behind as slaves? I think O'Connor missed that element of coercion. I bet a surprisingly high percentage of "Hebrew servants" opted for pierced ears and re-enlistment, with those terms.
Good catch, makes sense.
Rick, do you happen to know if any of the other religious texts and traditions dating back to the same era as the Bible, had any more enlightened position regarding slavery? Wasn't it pretty much of a universally accepted practice? And, doesn't this constitute a good reason to be skeptical of all ancient religions, and not just Judaeo-Christian denominations?
I'm not aware if there are such texts from that period or not. Obviously the Greeks and Romans had slaves. There are older Sumerian (or Akkadian?) texts that provide details about such as volitional bondage, motivated by poor circumstances, involving members of one's own society. Such a bonded person could earn their own money on the side and buy there way out of bondage, or even own their own house.

BUDDHISM AND SLAVERY

"Slavery is an institution wherein a person is legally owned by others and forced to work for them. Slaves (dàsa), like other property, can be bought, sold or mortgaged. There were five types of slaves in ancient India; those born to enslaved mothers, those purchased, those who voluntarily became slaves, e.g. to escape starvation during times of famine, those who became slaves out of fear and those captured in raids (Ja.VI,285; Vin.IV,224).

The Buddha said that the buying and selling of human beings is a wrong means of livelihood for lay people (A.III,208) and he forbade monks and nuns to accept gifts of slaves or to own them (D.I,5). These teachings seem to be the oldest known prohibition against slavery.

Despite such teachings, slavery has existed in all Buddhist countries, as it has everywhere else in the world. The first country with a significant Buddhist culture to abolish slavery was Japan which did so in 1590. "

https://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=384

Richard Stanley

Administrator
Buddhism frequently gets viewed by critics of most other religions as being very benign in comparison. And in some senses this is true, where it appears to have the most profound emphasis on personal spiritual perfection, and thus providing a means to becoming most effective in both living a fulfilling and productive live for one's self and for society. However, the widest evidence demonstrates that it some rather vile aspects as do all the others.

Michael Parenti has written quite a bit about this, and such as its "enlightened feudalism": https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Michael+Parenti+Buddhism&t=ffsb&atb=v173-1&ia=web

It has been noted that Christianity's traditional implementation of feudalism dovetails with the Platonism embedded within the NT corpus, where Plato described a feudal society as seeming to be the ideal. As I have pondered whether Christianity is a degraded implementation of Buddhism, did Prince Siddhartha (the last Buddha) get his idea to reform Hindu's caste system from Plato? And interesting to note that Prince Siddhartha was from a warrior caste of the Pali - the oldest substrate of Buddhism. It is also interesting to note that some people believe that the Kassites whom briefly took over Sumaria were of this kshatrya warrior caste mentioned below.

Here's what Jerry and I have stated previously, though it seems we need to revise this last paragraph based upon the recent commentary of the CosmicSkeptic:

Caste, Slavery and Freedom
As shown by Georges Dumezil, the idea of a tripartite social caste system is basic to Indo-European culture. A paradigmatic example is the Vedic Indian caste system, consisting of the Brahman (priest / king), kshatriya (warrior), and vaishya (agriculture / trade) classes. This caste system, generally, was known in the Mediterranean region via Plato’s Republic, if not earlier. If partly forgotten, it was re-encountered in Alexander the Great’s time, when the Greeks ran headlong into it on the way to India. Hellenistic art from that period and region shows a cultural fusion of people in Greek attire portraying Buddhist themes. Aspects of this Indian cultural fusion later found their way into the elite Roman and Helleno-Jewish formulation of Christianity. From there, in turn, flowed the horrors of feudalism, the inquisitions, holy and not so holy wars, institutionalized Jewish ghettos, and so on.
However, Stephen Knapp argues here that in the original Vedic concept of the caste system, one’s place was not determined by one’s birth (though as it does today it certainly helped). Rather, it was more of a meritocracy. Moreover, everyone had an inherent dignity and satisfaction in their respective societal contributions and rewards. He provides a folk story that attempts to explain why and how this system devolved. Inasmuch as this all happened in prehistoric times, perhaps this is the case.
Nicholas De Vere, in his The Dragon Legacy, makes the same underlying argument — that there was once a widespread ancient and benevolent caste system. De Vere believes that it was his ancestors, the red headed and green eyed clan of Aryans, who emerged as the rulers by universal acclaim of their self-evident merit. Since the collapse of that system, De Vere’s ultra-exclusive Aryans have been quietly and gallantly fighting off the greedy “tinker nobility”. These latter would be either the descendants of conquering warlords of other clans, or the latter day merchant class nobility. The pseudo-fascist Julius Evola argued somewhat similarly for what he claimed was the oldest sect of Buddhism, that of the Pali. He says that subsequent schools of Buddhism debased the ‘divine’ caste system in their successive attempts to popularize Buddhism.
Similarly it is claimed that in the days of ancient Sumeria, the practice of actual, overt slavery was relatively benign. One might become a ‘bonded’ slave to another to address an exigent downturn in personal circumstances. However, one could not only emerge from this condition, but while still in it one could even buy and sell property as a slave. Perhaps the book of Leviticus contains a memory of this context, where such ‘bondage’ could not last for more than 7 years, and one must treat one’s enslaved brother better than the others. ...