Catcher in The Rye for a 12 Year Old Girl

I was asked by my wife to get a novel for our 12 year old niece today. At a small bookstore in our area I asked the worker there if there was a good novel for an advanced reading 12 year old girl. The books suggested to me by this worker were Catcher in The Rye, Brave New World, and Animal Farm. Even though I saw some Jane Austin novels next to them. I kid you not. What I ended up going with was a novel about Seabiscuit, as horses are sort of a thing in our family, and a good quality sketch book and drawing pen.

I was asked by my wife to get a novel for our 12 year old niece today. At a small bookstore in our area I asked the worker there if there was a good novel for an advanced reading 12 year old girl. The books suggested to me by this worker were Catcher in The Rye, Brave New World, and Animal Farm. Even though I saw some Jane Austin novels next to them. I kid you not. What I ended up going with was a novel about Seabiscuit, as horses are sort of a thing in our family, and a good quality sketch book and drawing pen.

Mark,

Tough to be a kid in a land ruled by a secret society using weaponized anthropology against children. It is great that in your case an informed relative was able to defend a child. Your perspective needs to be universal. And it will be.

Joe

We are in Canada and as my wife said. "yeah she will be reading that in school in a couple of years" . Her parents aren't going to like that but for the reasons of the vulgar language in the book. By vulgar I mean the curse words and not the vulgar (common) style that the whole thing was written in. Thus it not only serves for the debasement of society but also having schools hold this work up as an example of a great literary work aids in the dumbing down of society.