Search results

1. Charles Watkins

The Rich Carriage of Space Jesus?

Carrier does not much discuss other theories. I seem to recall him ridiculing Atwill at some point, but not much more. I think the mythological narrative came first and was revamped for imperial use, drawing on Caesar, JofG, Josephus, and others to create the backstory. Carrier's point is when...
  2. Charles Watkins

The character Jesus is surely a composite of such legendary figures and Carrier covers a lot of them. Aside from that there is the question of whether the life of some historical figure (Izates, Jesus of Gamala, etc.) might have also been incorporated at the time he was revealed to be the...
  3. Charles Watkins

Most of the book dwells on that point. By the time he's done, Carrier has dispelled any notion that there was anything real about the gospel Jesus. The question for this theory is why believers would diminish a celestial deity by inventing a false life story. At some point, someone decided to...
  4. Charles Watkins

Just Saying Who's Trumping der Fuhrer?

I see him as King Lear, wandering on the heath. A vain, reckless, unaccountable ruler, addicted to false flattery, who progressively loses his mind as his former allies conspire against him.
  5. Charles Watkins

No, Carrier did not write about a 'second coming from outer space' or anything like that. He just wanted a sensationalistic title. He wants to set himself up as a judge of Biblical scholarship, maybe some professional power play. I also agree with his positions. But I wish he had gone into the...
  6. Charles Watkins

Well, I finally finished JESUS FROM OUTER SPACE. Carrier starts by pointing out that ancients had a cosmology where the 'heavens' were arranged on concentric spheres around the earth. So if Jesus came from heaven, he came from outer space. Then he uses this to ridicule early Christians for the...
  7. Charles Watkins

By 'produce' I meant Marcion brought them forth, not that he was the original author. Since they don't entirely fit his dogma it seems as though he somehow came by this collection and set about 'restoring' them for public release. So his would be at least two generations removed from the...
  8. Charles Watkins

Marcion released his collection of Paul's Letters in 130, but he claims he had obtained them in a deteriorated condition, by which he meant they had been edited to remove 'gnostic' content to suit a Jewish following. He claimed his redactions were to restore the original meanings. It is unlikely...
  9. Charles Watkins

I'm about half way through Celestial Jesus, so I'll let you know. Knowing Carrier, he will dwell on who are the 'true' gnostics by his definition and belittle anyone who has another view. It appears to me that the term 'gnostic' went through some changes in meaning. At first, it was this highly...
  10. Charles Watkins

As I've said before, I have some problems with Josephus as the author of the New Testament. Why would he have produced four contradictory versions of the gospel story? Why would the Letters come out before the gospels? Why did he depart from his scholarly approach and write the gospels as...
  11. Charles Watkins

Jerry, my impression is that Christianity got codified into a state religion under Constantine, but had existed as an organized religion at least since Domitian. Gnosticism had both philosophical and mythological elements. The creation story was whako, but the idea of directly experiencing god...
  12. Charles Watkins

I just got Carrier's book and might say more later, but wanted to note that Gnosticism had its own cosmology and hierarchy of heavens. My guy Marcion's great heresy was that the great God resided in a higher heaven from where he sent Jesus to correct the errors of Jehovah, who dwelt on a lesser...
  13. Charles Watkins

The Case for De Vere

Came across this on a site named olypen http://olypen.com/zob/genealogy/England-tree/deVere/Melusine.html) In the 12th-century, Melusine's descendant, Robert de Vere, 3rd Earl of Oxford and legal pretender to the Earldom of Huntingdon, was appointed as King Richard I's Steward of the forest...
  14. Charles Watkins

If Trump is Samson, who's Delilah?
  15. Charles Watkins

Let me make another guess. If the dems capture the senate, Biden will make a deal with Roberts. Instead of packing the Court, he will get Thomas to resign. That balances the Court with Roberts as the swing vote.
  16. Charles Watkins

QAnon and John-John

The so-called Deep State operates on the principles of formalism and incrementalism. Essentially, they go by the book and take things in measured steps. This does not sound like fertile ground for an overthrow. The opposition to Trump we see is due to his insertion of political operatives into...
  17. Charles Watkins

So the Democrats didn't deliberately tank the Senate races, they just forgot about them? Is that what you're going with? And let's have some details on this plot. How do you manufacture hundreds of thousand ballots? How do you get them distributed? How do you deal with voter verification?
  18. Charles Watkins

What? Are you saying the Democrats would sacrifice the Senate deliberately and in such a way as they would be discovered? That some mysterious controllers made them do that?
  19. Charles Watkins

Roberts does not want to be pushed into the position where the Court decides the election and he does not want the Democrats to pack the Court against him. His ideal situation is a 5-4 Court with himself as the swing vote and the Democrats would probably accept that. The solution is for Clarence...
  20. Charles Watkins

When it hits the fan, the first question will be how to resolve the electoral dispute and this will fall to the Supreme Court. The issue will be whether to allow the judicial process regarding claims of voting fraud to play out or to shortcut the process to meet Constitutional requirements. That...