RUSSIAN SCIENTISTS ANNOUNCE HISTORIC DISCOVERY RENDERING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Haroche's Cockroach' started by duane hennon, Jul 21, 2016.

1. duane hennon

duane hennon New Member

2. Interesting, but this looks super sketch. No name brand news outlets carry the story, and their website has downloadable "articles," only a closer inspection reveals these have not been published in peer-reviewed journals, but in the programs of conferences where they have presented their (alleged) findings

3. Jerry Russell

Jerry Russell Administrator Staff Member

Seems fishy to me. The claim is that the rate of radioactive decay of nearly-stable isotopes of heavy elements can be radically accelerated by bacteria. Even more radically, they claim that the bacteria can catalyze a rapid decay of Mercury 201 (an absolutely stable isotope) into platinum and then gold.

The LENR theory of Widom-Larsen claims the opposit reaction, in which the transmutations run generally from left to right on the periodic table, rather than right to left. For Widom-Larsen, the key for making their alleged reaction take place is the formation of low-energy neutrons through fusion of an electron with a proton. These extremely slow neutrons can then be absorbed by heavy nuclei, which then decay to stable isotopes. IMO the problem with this theory is that the energy barrier to electron-proton fusion is incredibly high. Widom-Larsen claim that this is the mechanism for the Pons-Fleischmann "Cold Fusion" phenomenon in hydrogen-saturated platinum electrolytic cells.

http://www.slideshare.net/lewisglarsen

The Russians don't mention this theory, nor any mechanism for the bacteria to create these nuclear reactions. Personally I prefer the theory of Bressani, Del Guidice, and Preparata, which involves direct fusion of hydrogen or helium nuclei without any neutron production.

http://postflaviana.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/1989Bressani-First-Steps.pdf

But I suppose it's possible that both reactions can take place, given the right circumstances. Or it's also possible that Widom-Larsen and / or these Russians are schemes to muddy the waters, and siphon off investment resources.

If these reactions are taking place at a significant rate, the process should be highly exothermic, but the Russian discussion makes no mention of that.

[edited after re-reading some Widom-Larsen slide shows...]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  4. Jerry Russell

Jerry Russell Administrator Staff Member

According to the Preparata theory (as interpreted by yours truly) the electrons in the platinum lattice are forming an entanglement, which reduces the deBroglie wavelength of the electrons. This brings the hydrogen ions in the lattice closer together, reducing the energy barrier to fusion.

So if that's happening, wouldn't the proton-electron spacing also be reduced, and maybe reduce that energy barrier too? Maybe so, but at this point I'm just making s**t up.

Is there a physicist in the house??!!